You told us your needs and wants...
and the Alumni Association is responding
1500+ young adults have gone through the STF or GPA program since its inception in 2001, spending one or two, sometimes even three or four years on a spiritual journey, developing their character, and making lifelong friendships. Many of us had unforgettable experiences serving overseas, exploring our convictions at nourishing workshops, and traveling and meeting people all over the country.
Many told us of the inevitable transition from learning the value of challenges in an intentional program to applying the lessons learned to a new life of college, professions, relationships and family.
To support a truly enjoyable and successful post-GPA experience for graduates, the STF GPA Alumni Association was re-launched in January 2016. We began with a series of surveys, a mentoring program pilot, and workshops in various communities.
Step 1: Ask alumni
The STF GPA Alumni Association was re-launched in January 2016. The first step was to survey alumni and get a sense of what they were looking for in an alumni association.
An online survey of 74 alumni from STF/GPA 2005-2014 asked the following questions:
What main objectives should an Alumni Association fulfill?
- 80% said facilitate connection with my year
- 79% said offer support in continuing to develop a life of faith
- 68% said offer moral/internal and practical support in the transition after STF/GPA
Alumni were also asked to rate (0-5) their interest in the following resources. rating averages were:
- 4.1/5.0 - Workshops and retreats
- 4.0/5.0 - Reunions
- 3.8/5.0 - Educational resources
- 3.7/5.0 - Blog highlighting application of lessons to life after STF/GPA
- 3.5/5.0 - Summer service projects
Step 2: What we're creating to answer the need
BUILDING THE TEAM
- Our current team consists of one part-time coordinator and a handful of volunteers.
- Your donations will support the continued building of a small team of paid staff with diverse skills sets: programming, marketing, finance.
- We've enrolled 30 mentors and mentees in our Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 rotations!
- Our goal is to pair each 2017 GPA grad with a mentor during their first post-GPA year
- Your donations would support training and resources for our mentors
THE ANNUAL STF GPA ALUMNI REUNION
- A team of alumni is busy organizing this year's reunion; a chance for staff and alumni to connect for a nourishing weekend
- Your donations would help keep costs low and quality high
SPONSORING ALUMNI TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT WORKSHOPS FOR THE CURRENT YEAR OF GPA
- Wouldn't it be great if the Alumni Association could sponsor graduates to travel to key workshops throughout the year to share their testimonies, advice, and experience with the current year? Check out Jonathan Jesper's experience doing just that this past November!
- Your donation could support us in sponsoring more alumni to contribute to the current year!
DEVELOP RELEVANT, APPLICABLE EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES TO SUPPORT A HEALTHY TRANSITION AND BEYOND
Your donation would go towards contracting experienced educators to gather and develop materials
OFFER SCHOLARSHIPS FOR EDUCATIONAL WORKSHOPS AND SEMINARS
- There are a lot of awesome educational opportunities throughout the country and your donations would financially support recent grads in being able to attend, learn, and give back!
Step 3: Help us make it happen!
Continuing to develop our existing projects and implement new ones is only possible with your support! Our goal is to raise $4,000 a month from our community of alumni, parents, family, and friends.
Our commitment is to make a better future for those following in our footsteps! As we empower individuals, we empower our communities and our world!
We invite you to contribute to co-creating a thriving community of alumni and donate today!
Donations are accepted as unrestricted gifts and applied to where need is greatest. The STF GPA Alumni Association and Generation Peace Academy (GPA) are projects of HSA-UWC and donations made on this site are by default booked in an STF GPA Alumni Association account within HSA-UWC accounting. HSA-UWC is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization and all donations are tax deductible as allowed by law.